Translate

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Joanne Swanson's Foamcore Siding Idea

Foamcore Siding
Maureen H. in St. Albert AB wrote to The Canada Minis Digest:
I was, as usual, reading old (1993)Nutshell news and came across Joann Swanson's instructions for her garage sale. I'm thinking maybe I'll add it to my list of upcoming projects and, accordingly, I'm poring over the instructions when I spot this little gem!

The outside walls of her garage are made from foamcore yet look like siding. Here's how Joann did it.

On outside of exterior walls, measure and mark horizontal lines every 1/2" from bottom to top. Cut on the lines with an X-Acto knife and a straight edge just through the top paper layer. Make a tool like a pointed orange stick by sharpening end of a e/16" dowel in pencil sharpener. Starting from the top, slip pointed end of tool under one end of cut line. Run it along cut with enough pressure to slightly indent the area under the line and slightly lift up cut edge of paper. Repeat for all lines to create faux siding. Paint as desired. Let dry

I actually ran a 1/2" strip of wood along the line, putting more pressure on the side closest to the line.

I've put two pictures of the small sample piece I did in my CM album. The straight on picture doesn't really do it justice but you can get a better idea of how it looks from the end shot where I've highlighted the edge with marker.

Wonderful method you might want to keep tucked away in your mind.