Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chris' Appliances in 1/4 Scale


Chris in Canada made these appliances in ¼ Scale.
She says: I made the basic shapes from 1/2" square balsa lumber and the stove console from 1/16" basswood stripwood glued to the back. I sanded the balsa into the shape I needed, and embossed it to indicate the doors etc.... then gave everything 2 coats of ModPodge matte finish to harden the surface so the balsa wouldn't dent with handling and to seal the grain of the wood. The stovetop burners are a printie I made up and coated with ModPodge, the oven window is a bit of grayish-black paper from a sales flyer in a frame of chrome auto detailing tape and all the handles are cut-off pins bent into shape. The finish is 3 coats of white enamel, sanded between coats and a final clear coat. This was my first attempt at QS appliances and probably the last time I'll do something like these for a swap due to the time involved in making them, butI did enjoy doing them.